The LF2L and le Laboratoire d’archéologie des métaux
The Lorraine Fab Living Lab® (laboratoire ERPI and ENSGSI) is a partner of the Metal Archaeology Laboratory of the musée de l’Histoire du fer (LAM) as part of the project to renovate the monument to the dead at Létricourt.
This statue suffered damage from the Second World War and was “violently” dismantled in 2014. The rifle of the soldier’s statue was particularly damaged and all that remained was the tip and his bayonet.
With the help of a team of EXIA.CESI students in internship, the LF2L team made a 3D digital copy of a period rifle to reconstruct this part. Thanks to the loan of a Lebel 1886 rifle by the Musée de la Guerre de 1870 et de l’Annexion from Gravelotte and the use of the Artec EVA Scanner at the Lorraine Fab Living Lab®.
After scanning and image processing, the rifle was manufactured by 3D printing (FDM technology at LF2L). The printed object was then painted to give a similar appearance to the original statue.
This project has thus made it possible to create a common LF2L / LAM expertise in the digitisation and 3D printing of large scale historical metal parts and the training of two engineering students.
More info (in french): http://factuel.univ-lorraine.fr/node/9664